Skills You Have...

"I don't divide architecture, landscape and gardening; to me, they are one." - Luis Barragan.



Another skillset task that was set by our cultural context lecture was to answer certain words with the skills we have for that word, what skills we would like, and what we think is meant by that particular skill. It's probably easier to just do it than try to explain what to do. So...


Survey

Three survey skills I have -

  1. Attention to detail.
  2. Detailed notes.
  3. Research.

Three survey skill I would like to have -

  1. Creating quick detailed sketches of the site.
  2. Have a better understanding of the equipment and tools used during surveying.
  3. Better mathematic skills to calculate areas of land etc.

What do we mean by survey skills?

I personally associate survey skills with those which I would use during a site survey. However, it can also be any skills that are used to gather information. 


Analysis

Three analytical skills I have -

  1. Research.
  2. Problem-solving.
  3. Creativity.

Three analytical skills I would like to have -

  1. Forecasting.
  2. Data mining.
  3. Better organization when analysing.

What do we mean by analytical skills?

Analytical skills are the abilities that allow you to collect, organize, visualise and assimilate data. Letting you see patterns, draw conclusions and find solutions. 


Design

Three design skills I have -

  1. Visualising.
  2. Thinking creatively.
  3. Composition.

Three design skills I would like to have -

  1. More confidence when presenting my design.
  2. A better understanding of how to design with planting.
  3. ?

What do we mean by design skills?

I think that design skills can be defined by the ability to imagine and explain how something will look when finished. 


Digital 

Three digital skills I have -

  1. Adobe creative apps.
  2. AutoCAD.
  3. Digital mapping. 

Three digital skills I would like to have -

  1. Lumion.
  2. More confidence with SketchUp.
  3. A better understanding of digital scale.

What do we mean by digital skills?

Digital skills are a range of abilities that are used for digital devices, to communicate, and to access information. 


Analogue 

Three of my strongest analogue skills -

  1. Attention to detail.
  2. Organization.
  3. Creativity.

Three analogue skills I would like to have -

  1. Finding information without the use of the internet.
  2. Have more confidence when presenting in face-to-face scenarios.
  3. Developing my drawing skills and not relying on the creation of digital visualisation. 

What do we mean by analogue skills?

I define analogue skills as being the abilities we had before we started to digitalise everything. 


Thinking 

Three of my strongest thinking skills -

  1. Critical analysis.
  2. Evaluation.
  3. Questioning ideas.

Three thinking skills I would like to have -

  1. To process information faster.
  2. Have more confidence in my judgements.
  3. Apply more imagination within my designs.

What do we mean by thinking skills?

"Thinking skills involve mental processes used in cognitive functions that enable people to make meaning from, and create with, information: solving problems, making decisions, critical thinking, planning and organizing job tasks, using a significant amount of memory, and finding, synthesizing and analysing information."


Communication 

Three of my strongest communication skills -

  1. Verbal.
  2. Active listening.
  3. Friendliness.

Three communication skills I would like to have -

  1. Confidence.

What do we mean by communication skills?

Communication skills are the ability to convey and share ideas and feelings effectively. 


I did find some of these questions quite hard to answer as I feel as though by listing the skills I would like to have I am therefore pointing out my weaknesses. However, the good thing about skills is that they are not talents, they can be learnt! 





Comments

Popular Posts