Design Thinking

"Enjoyment of the landscape is a thrill." - David Hockney


We were set another task by our lecturer and at the start, I thought completing these tasks wouldn't actually make me progress in any way. However, as I was doing the following task I realised that they have been expanding my thinking over time. They have introduced me to new designers and made me think more when I am creating. They have made me want to spend more time on developing my artistic, drawing and designing skills, as well as think more into how a concept can be displayed in a design. I think I'm starting to enjoy them. Shame that we were not given something like this from our first year. I only have a few months left and now is the time I've been given tasks to expand my mind. Typical. 

Anyway, the most recent task set was to research the following design approaches and list a landscape architect for each category. I'll explain my reasoning behind it as well.


Metaphor: Topher Delaney

Topher Delaney specializes in the design of healing gardens for hospitals and sanctuaries for residential and business clients. Her work at the beginning of her career was a metaphor for her commitment to the environment. Whereas her work now symbolises comfort, healing and faith. 





Symbolism: George London

George London was a famous landscape architect during the late 17th and early 18th century. At the time the garden was a powerful social symbol and displayed the owner's wealth through the use of planting. London's style was quite enclosed, geometric layouts which formally displayed the planting, but at the time this was the fashionable style from the French and Dutch gardens. The upkeep of the axial formalism was extortionate but it displayed the wealth of the house, the fact that they could afford to hire a famous landscape designer, fancy planting and keep the garden well maintained. Here is London's only surviving garden, which was restored by the National Trust at Hanbury Hall. 





Archetypes: Dan Pearson

The definition of archetypes is "a very typical example of a certain person or thing." When I researched the definition I started thinking of the typical designs which are expected from landscape architects. The gardens with a simple layout, and lots of planting, that type of thing. And even though Dan Pearson is an amazing designer, and his gardens are beautiful. I do feel like his designs display what is expected from us. I might be completely wrong, that's just my thoughts. 





Narrative: Christopher Bradley-Hole

For the narrative design approach, I found that Christopher Bradley-Hole's 1977 design for the Chelsea Flower Show was a great example. Entitled "Latin Garden", the space was designed around the idea of the three stages of Virgil's life, from his childhood in the countryside to his career and fame in the city, to his retirement to a rural retreat. Hole used subtle and complex manipulation of space to display the narrative with sparse planting in between. 




Geometry: Martha Schwartz 

For me, this was the easiest design approach to find a landscape architect for, it was the first one I answered because I already had Martha Schwartz in mind. It's not that her design approach has multiple geometric shapes, but more than each design has strong, demanding lines. Schwartz creates designs that use shapes and colours to gain attention from the visitors. Here are a few examples...



 


Comments

Popular Posts