Alney Island Concept Diagram

 "Any work of architecture which does not express serenity is a mistake." - Luis Barragan


When finding a concept for the Alney Island project I was unsure as to where to start. I was spending a lot of my time drawing the site and figuring out which elements needed to be placed on the site, and where they should go, hoping that I would find a concept along the way. And I did. After drawing and redrawing the site, what felt like a million times, I started to look at the form of the River Severn and how the city of Gloucester has been built around this major watercourse. As well as looking at how the River Severn could connect Alney Island and Castlemeads to the city of Gloucester. 


I wanted to ensure that there was connectivity throughout the site, as well as a strong connection between the city and the proposed design. I decided that my concept would be sculptural form. Inspired by the River Sevener, I wanted to see how I could create paths and links around the site that was sculptural and mirrored the way that the River Severn wrapped itself around the site. 


Comments

Popular Posts