Furnitecture Design

"Works of art are landscapes of the mind." - Ted Godwin



For part of our semester two assignment for the Design Projects module we have been instructed to design a bench or seat that captures within its form, structure and design the underlying spirit of our deeper meaning for the Alney Island and Castlemeads Site. This deeper meaning was explored in semester one and is different for each student. It is basically the design concept for our site, for me, I focused on sculptural form and identity, which I explored in a previous post. 

My design for my piece of furniture was inspired by the work of Pablo Reinoso, who creates sculptural benches that go against their customary use. The use of steel takes on unprecedented shapes and forms which challenge constraints and play with the boundaries of the material. 


This work inspired me to play with the idea of creating large, sculptural and crazy furniture, but incorporate key elements within the newly designed space. I have created sketches of sculptural figures that sit within a spiral of steel that is wrapped around them. With the idea that the figure starts to move and stand within different furniture pieces, and the steel starts to droop to the ground. 

I'm still playing with the concept of the bench and deciding whether it is something I want to run with or alter further, as well as debating which materials would be best to use.






Comments

  1. We should make a 1:1 garden seat inspired by your design, It would be great experience for you and I've got loads of Iroko.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts