Chaumont Garden Design: Planting

“I love nature, I love the landscape because it is so sincere. It never cheats me. It never jests. It is cheerfully, musically earnest. I lie and rely on the earth.” – Henry David Thoreau


 As part of the group project for the Chaumont garden design, we as a team decided that we would delegate tasks based on everyone's strengths. For me, that was planting. Over the past week, I have thrown myself into the plant world. I had already done some research into plants that would suit the local climate and soil within the area of Chaumont. However, now I needed to apply these plants to the garden, discover their flowering periods and what colour scheme we as a group wanted. 

I started by picking some plants that other people within the group had suggested, before then deciding on new ones to add to the planting scheme. The colour palette we decided to go for was luscious greens with pops of different shades of purple, and the plants chosen would be placed within the garden from April to November. Therefore, the plants chosen had to suit these factors, as well as being tolerable to clay soil. 

After I had collected a vague planting palette I created a planting colour wheel to display what each group would look like throughout the different seasons, as well as show which plant flowered throughout the months. 


Once this was completed, I showed this to the rest of the group, along with a list of plants that displayed images of the plant, height, spread, flowering month and price, to ensure everyone was happy with what I had chosen. 

Once I was given the go-ahead, I started to create the planting plan. This was by far my favourite part of the project, the rest of the group trusted me to place the planting where I seemed fit, creating tiered levels with the different heights. 



Comments

Popular Posts