Kitty Lloyd Jones - Upton House

 


"I love roses and would like a home for good ones somewhere ... I love both pink and white" - Lady Bearsted to Kitty Lloyd Jones. 


In May of this year I went and visited Upton House, as a kid my parents always took us to National Trust places and I think that's where my love for plants, gardens and design came from. 

I always think it's interesting to see the different styles at different periods; George Londons intricate patterns; Capability Browns open landscapes. 

Before visiting Upton House I had not yet heard of Garden Designer Katie Lloyd Jones. She was one of the first women during the 1930s to complete a degree in horticulture and earn a living from practical gardening. 

Jones began her career as a private gardening tutor before establishing a garden advisory consultancy in the early 1930s. Her first design commission was for a 100 yard long curvilinear border for a Lady Gladstone. 

In 1931 she was employed by Lady Bearsted to remodel the garden for Upton House, a 1.4ha project. 

Jones' redesign consisted of a distinctive topography with steep terraces parallel to the house that fall into the valley below. As well as turning a once overgrown marshland into a beautiful bog garden. 


When visiting the gardens you can see Jones' influence in many areas - the soft planting juxtaposed with strong powerful colours. Would definitely recommend a visit! 


Comments

Popular Posts